Yogurt (Yoghurt) is a great food. Compared with cheese and milk, it is better in terms of a healthy body. It can be used in a variety of ways for cooking, not only a standard cup of yogurt with fruit. Here are some of the ways we use yogurt:
- Muesli, fruit, milk and creamy yogurt
- I like a dollop of creamy yogurt on eggs
- The same creamy yogurt can be a replacement for any sour cream or cottage cheese ingredient
- Spreadable yogurt cream cheese (over-incubate and strain, and you get a grainy-textured mild cheese), great on toast, in a salad (think spinach, pecan, sun-dried tomato and bacon)...
- In cakes, yogurt is a great moistening element and adds some heft. Both spreadable yogurt and creamy yogurt can be used in a cheesecake (which could be part cream cheese or wholly yogurt/yogurt cheese)
Yogurt is costly
The only negative is expense. Yogurt is expensive. Even at 59 THB per 454g we are dealing with a cost that is approximately 5 times the cost for wholesale milk (25 THB/liter with 5 liter minimum for raw milk). Even buying at the retail price of 205 THB for 5 liters, the cost of yogurt is double that of the cost of milk. And it is easy enough to transform milk into yogurt, using heat and a smaller amount of yogurt.
- Pour 5 liters of milk into a large rice cooker (the cheap variety)
- Turn heat on and heat to 65c
- Cover for 30 minutes
- Cool to 45c
- Stir in a small amount of fresh plain live yogurt (about 1/2 cup)
- Cover and wrap with towels for 12-24 hours.