- Now available on Github
- Download WP Fountain from WordPress.org
- WP Fountain is a WordPress Plugin to support Fountain markup< (aka SPMD) for screenplays.
- Contributors: jeffmcneill, nyousefi
- Tags: screenwriting, scrippets, scrippet, screenplay, film scripts, movie scripts, fountain
- Requires at least: 1.5
- Tested up to: 3.6
- Stable tag: 0.0.1
Description of WP Fountain
The Fountain format is a text format designed by John August to allow writers to input screenplay text in easy-to-write plain text and have it converted to properly styled HTML. This plugin will automatically convert plain text Fountain to HTML, and add John August's Scrippets CSS file (renamed to Fountains) into your blog. For more information on Fountain please see
Installation of WP Fountain
- Download wp-fountain.zip.
- Unzip the archive.
- Upload the entire "wp-fountain" folder into your "wp-content/plugins" directory.
- Activate the plugin through the Admin plugins panel.
Usage of WP Fountain
To include a Scrippet of Fountain in your WordPress blog simply include text in the following format:
[ fountain ] INT. HOUSE - DAY
MARY yells across the hall to FRANK.
Anything you want to tell me?
I swear, honey, I don't know how mayonnaise got in the piano.
running out of the bathroom.
FRANK (terrified) There are bees in the toilet! [ /fountain ]
This renders as:
[fountain] INT. HOUSE - DAY MARY yells across the hall to FRANK. MARY Anything you want to tell me? FRANK (O.S.) I swear, honey, I don't know how mayonnaise got in the piano. CUT TO: FRANK running out of the bathroom. FRANK (terrified) There are bees in the toliet! [/fountain]
Note: Fountain text must be wrapped in
[ fountain ][ /fountain ] blocks, and must have correct line spaces between screenplay elements.
You can make text bold or italic by in the following ways:
- Wrap the text in double asterisks
- Wrap the text in single asterisks
Please note: text styling does not work for transitions. Sorry.
Frequently Asked Questions
MEEP! It's not formatting correctly. What do I do?
First, please make sure you are inputting the text in the right format. (Line spacing is important!) However, if you're doing it right and it's still not looking right, please go to for troubleshooting help or to submit a bug report.
The Fountain is formatted correctly, but the style of the box doesn't fit in with my blog design. What can I do? The Fountain settings panel in your WordPress administrator's page has several settings that you can change to better suit your blog's design. However, if those options are insufficient, you can modify the fountains.css file in wp-fountain plugin folder. Be advised that updates to the WP Fountain plugin will overwrite your changes, so you should back them up and remember to add them back in whenever the plugin gets updated.
- 1.5.9 - Fully compliant WP Fountain fountainized
- 0.0.1 - Fork of WP Scrippets
- 1.5 - Fixed screenshot.
- 1.4 - Various bug fixes.
- 1.35 - Fixed bug resulting from having a character name end in INT (ie, VINCINT, QUINT).
- 1.3 - Compatibility fix for WordPress 2.8+
- 1.2 - Fixed FOREST bug, added version number to scrippetize.php
- 1.1 - Added support for bold, italic, and underlined text.
- 1.0.2 - Fixed bug in wp-scrippets.php that prevented CSS to be added properly for blogs with different WordPress and Blog addresses.
- 1.0.1 - Fixed scrippetize to work with bbPress.
- 1.0 - Release!